Friday, April 4, 2008

Storms once again



Thursday evening was a big one. We went into condition Yellow status around 9:04
And moved to Red status at around 9:30. Thank you to all who called.
I want to tell those who either held over or came in how much I appreciate you. If you complained I never heard it.
We had a new night Major Janie who acted like a pro and that this was not her first Rodeo, (come to think of it I guess its not) It was newly promoted Caption Pipkins at the helm in dispatch, on his second night with a room full of those in training, or fairly new communications staff. Watching them all work told me that we have a great future. It seemed that our whole service area was getting hit. I was on the phone with MedTran several times in the night to make sure they were OK, they checked on us for the same reason. All the time this was going on, MEMS station sustained a direct lightening hit. Causing us to lose 911 at the dispatch console, SIPS, the AWIN base, electric gates and doors. At the same time that the alarms were going off, wind driven rain came in through a vent in the west wall causing a major leak in the computer room, threatening our intranet. All the while our communications staff worked through the obstacles, keeping their head in the game. They have this one under their belt great job. I want to thank Ron who came in and helped us monitor all that was going on lending his expertise.

For those on the streets, I was not with you in person, but listened as you crossed trees, waded water, dodged storms, fought wind and many other obstacles, never complained. Some doing 17 calls yesterday, but you got the job done, just like you do everyday. Folks I come in most everyday, and do my best to pound out the behind the scenes work that my job requires. I come with the intention to tell you every chance that I can, that I do notice you, and I appreciate your work, spirit and skill. It is probably always too slow, but never, ever forget or doubt that I appreciate you and am in your corner. I am proud of you all!
Greg

Link