Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A comment from Robert Darr

Hey Boss,
On the blog you said I kept the monitor on the patient. It may help to say I kept the 12 lead (or all 10 actual leads) on the patient.
It may help people to consider leaving the 12 lead on after they attach it in case something changes. Some crews believe that after they do a 12 lead they should just take it off if they do not find anything. Since that is the way they do it at the hospitals.
Even a short transport in the city or a longer one from an outlying you never know when something will change and you may want to do another 12 lead. Especially if the initial 12 lead was done prior to the actual infarction stage of the MI or if they have a dramatic rhythm change like I did. It also helps during a longer transport to do repetitive 12 leads on MI patients to monitor MI progression. It actually helps in determining survivability in the long run.
Besides I have a reputation (whatever kind it may be) to protect. I don't want people think I am taking the monitor off completely after I do a 12 lead. LOL

Thanks for the clarification Robert!
Greg